Life is a mystery and the world a beautiful and complex place. So I write to make my way through it. This is how I shall liberate myself and make my own heart happy.

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Publish Now

Today I went to Publish Now, a one day workshop hosted by The Writer's Center.    There was so much information coming at me.  I will have to sit with it for awhile before I figure out how to make good use of most of it.  Periodically I will post some of the nuggets of wisdom that I gathered during the event.  However, I have two revelations resulting in one immediate action item. 

Today, I realized that I needed to brand myself.  I have a social media presence via facebook, twitter, instagram and my blogs. I will be working to bring consistency across all of these over the next few months.   I will focus more on blogging and facebook.  I think it will help with the content that I'm developing.   Hopefully in the next year or two I will be able to make a clear statement to represent myself as a brand such as:  Karen Thompkins is a blah, blah, blah and she lives and writes in Washington, DC. 

Phil Sexton, a publisher at Writer's Digest presented on the Latest Trends in Self Publishing.  He provided a schematic of all of the many things that can be done with good content.  I was so happy to see that schematic because it validated some of my ideas regarding my work.  I thought maybe I was just crazy to consider a variety of different formats.  Here's an example of what you can do with good content.  Good content can become a workbook, webinar, documentary, book, magazine, videogame or an eshort.   All of these can branch off into other things. 

I had a grand ole time.  I also met a lot of interesting people. 

But now, since woman cannot live on dreams alone, I need to spend time doing the unglamorous.  I gotta organize my life via cooking, cleaning, laundry and getting ready for the work week. 

A couple of photos from the workshop (taken in the Allan B Lefcowitz Theatre at the Writer's Center).  Until next time!








No comments:

Post a Comment