Life is a mystery and the world a beautiful and complex place. So I write to make my way through it. This is how I shall liberate myself and make my own heart happy.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

My Father's Papers

Growing up, there were always newspapers in the house. There were usually three newspapers delivered to the house.  These papers arrived daily for my father’s enjoyment.  As kids we poked around with the Sunday paper after my father had gone through it.  I read the Parade and my brothers the comics.  My mother bypassed the news in search of sales.  She mostly used old newspapers to capture the skins of peeled potatoes and shucked corn when cooking.   Sometimes I was able to amuse this deeply religious woman with the daily horoscope, “Ma, today you will find love in unexpected places.”  But it was my father who thoroughly read the newspapers. He would read them at the kitchen table, from his big chair in the den, while sitting on the front porch or by the wood burning stove in the basement. 

The papers lived in various parts of the house which annoyed my mother.   There’s nothing more unruly than a paper once opened.  It can’t be returned to its former pristine state.  It’s easier to leave them opened and disheveled all over the place.  Sometimes my mother expressed her frustration, “I’m so tired of Your Father’s Papers.”   She always said Your Father’s Papers as if to mockingly announce a great novel or play.  But what was she to do?  All things considered, this is just the byproduct of a man that likes to read newspapers.   Still, the papers were just one more thing she had to corral to maintain some semblance of order at home. 

I’ve always been amused that my father involves my mother in the reading of his newspapers.   He doesn’t seem to notice her shoddy rapport with his papers.  Sometimes he would suddenly appear from another part of the house with his paper “Rudell, look at this!  I told you…they going to jail!”  They were usually a political figure that he had been following.   He would monitor their hopeful rise to office all the way to their ruinous end.   Mom would acknowledge his five alarm news with a slight nod or lift of the eyebrow.   He would walk away muttering his convictions into the air and shaking his head, ”Naw, uh-uh…you just can’t do that.”  

I often think of my parents as I try to manage reading and taming the Washington Post I have delivered to my apartment once a week.   I know there is no great mystery or feat in reading a newspaper.  If I were speaking to a therapist, she would look over me closely and say “Mystery…hmmmnnnn….let’s explore this a little more…”   Obviously I don’t rely on this once a week delivery, that I pick through, as my primary source of information.  So, why do I have the subscription? We all do things that tie us to our childhood.  We desire to have a better understanding of it or want to relive a feeling or experience that we know we can’t get back.  Sometimes it’s a conscious choice and other times not.  Maybe that’s why I have them living with me in my small space.

There are still a lot of papers in my parent’s house.  I wasn’t sure which ones so I asked my dad.

“Dad, what papers do you get at the house?”
 “The (Baltimore) Sun and The (Capital) Gazette”
“I thought there was another paper like the Afro American or did it go out of circulation?”
“Oh Yeah, I get the Afro American but that’s just once a week.  They still around.” 
“You read these papers every day!” 
 “Yeah.  Why?” 
“I was just wondering.”


Of course, I wasn’t just wondering.  I was just amazed.

12 comments:

  1. Karen, another wonderful piece. Filled with insight and humor. It's always great to get a glimpse into your life and memories. Thanks for sharing. Now I know from where you got your love of reading and writing :-) - KCO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KCO, glad you are enjoying my work. As always, thanks for your support!

      Delete
  2. Awesome Karen!! --Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting piece Karen. I read it twice, mostly to answer the two questions in my head at the end of the piece. The first question was: So why DOES she have that subscription? And then why is the piece called "My Fathers Papers" if each member of the family clearly had such a different relationship with those papers? The second time, I read the fourth paragraph first and the rest in sequence and I realized that your subscription is more about your connection to and admiration for your father. I like the closing; I too am amazed that anyone still reads the paper ...let alone more than one. -- cw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey CW - I guess one could say that this post is about many things but mainly family and traditions. There were several areas I wanted to explore but that might have required another 2,000 words. I Cheers!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoy reading your work, Karen! What a sweet story...the newspaper reminds me of my dad too. He always had dirty hands from the newsprint -- I would be wiping it off everything around the house when I took care of him. He read the New York Post even when we lived in Baltimore! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - Glad you enjoyed my post and that it made you think of your dad. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Wow! This was wonderful. You had me after the first few sentences. It took me back to my childhood apartment on a Saturday morning with my family, syrupy pancakes, and the Atlanta Journal Constitution. This piece may be your best one yet because it was personal, inviting, and well-written. Thank you for the invitation to revisit memories--a great way to start a long day before work. Love this and you! xoxoxo -Moriah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey little lady! One can't go wrong with a Saturday morning and syrupy pancakes! Thanks for your help and enthusiasm towards my writing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen. You paint a great picture of your father & mother with this post. Although you used the newspaper as a kind of "set piece", I think the narrative is about family relationship, especially between your parents. Through your writing I can hear the tones of voice & see the looks on their faces. Thanks for a good read. -Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kat-
    Would you believe that this piece initially focused on clutter? In fact, the title was Clutter and Crap. But the more I wrote and revised this is what appeared. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete