Life is a mystery and the world a beautiful and complex place. So I write to make my way through it. This is how I shall liberate myself and make my own heart happy.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Hello London!

I always wanted to travel.   One day I realized that I needed to make it happen.   My assumptions and desire for travel were not resulting in actual travel.    So, in celebration of my birthday month, last August I bought a ticket to London.  London was an easy choice as I have a cousin living in London.

My flight was delayed an hour so we left Dulles International at 11:00 pm.  I enjoyed a lovely meal and glass of wine in the airport. 

The flight was enjoyable after the cabin settled.   But first, the baby onboard had to scream out all her troubles and a hipster would tire of amusing his pal with his loud talking and cursing.   Then the very British flight attendants offered a dinner of pasta or shepherd’s pie.  I sat back and watched a disgruntled older man drink bottle after bottle of wine.  I sighed out a prayer. 

Finally, about 2 hours into the trip, the plane became very quiet.  I didn't think it was possible.  It was quite wonderful.  In due time, we reached London.   I  never did go to sleep  but stared at everyone else while they slept.  I only began to nod off as the plane made its descent into Heathrow Airport. 

My cousin Walden picked me up from the airport.  We were joined by his 11-year old daughter, Morgan, who would keep me entertained.  I knew this when I spotted her at the airport with her pigtails and hot pink sweater.   Walden had a plan to keep me up until at least 8 pm to reset my internal clock.  Full of disbelief, I turned to Morgan and said, “Great, only 7 hours to go!”     

After we dropped my things off at Walden's we got on the tube and went to Harrods. If you need to stay up and want non-pharmaceutical stimulation, go to Harrods (below on right).  Here are a few pictures from my first day in London. 

I was fascinated with the food section. 

I tried something new; cockles in vinegar.  I ate them so I could say (with a British accent), "I once ate cockles in vinegar..."
Mostly, I enjoyed the energy of the streets and the holiday lights. 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful London experience! Glad you had a spectacular time seeing the town and family. This makes me want to plan a trip now. One day. What are cockels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I have the same question as Lynn about cockels. Great photos by the way! Love the colors, especially the purple building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ladies! Cockles are tiny saltwater clams that are a popular British snack. They tasted ok...didn't really change my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lourdeeeez! I hope to see you in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Terri! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a wonderful account. Thanks for sharing.
    Did you also have fish 'n chips? -- Kristen Folsom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kristen! I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. Yes, I had fish n chips. I get into the food in the blog I posted today. http://karenthompkins.blogspot.com/2014/12/eating-my-way-around-london.html

    I may be in the ATL in early 2015 and will look you up. :)

    ReplyDelete